NATIVE EATING: KAKADU PLUM ENERGY BALLS
March 9 2021·
March 9 2021·
A delicious little snack to have while enjoying a cup of tea or coffee, these vitamin C packed treats, made with Kakadu plum and ginger are a perfect healthy alternative to munch on.
Kakadu plum is an Australian native plant, containing the highest recorded levels of vitamin C in the world - more than 50 times that of oranges, generating enormous potential for its use in both dietary supplements and personal care products.
The Kakadu plum powder gives these snacks a lovely tangy flavour which complements the ginger perfectly.
- 1 packed cup medjool dates - 220 grams, or about 11-12 dates
- 1 and 1/2 cups cashews (raw, unsalted) - about 200 grams
- 1/2 cup quinoa flakes
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 5 tsp Kakadu plum powder from Warndu
- 2-3 tsp ground ginger - adjust according to taste
- 3/4 cup desiccated coconut OR 1/2 cup sesame seeds, OR a mix, for coating the balls
- Remove the pits from the medjool dates and place in a food processor along with the cashews. Process so the dates and cashews break up into a rough sticky crumb.
- Add the quinoa flakes, cacao powder, ginger and Kakadu plum powder. Continue to process until the mixture forms a sticky dough. It will probably start to come together as one big ball in the food processor.
- Scoop out heaped teaspoons of the mixture and roll into a ball. Roll in coconut or sesame seeds to coat. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Pop the energy balls in the fridge, where they will firm up a bit. Keep them stored in the fridge - they should last for a few weeks. Place them in the freezer if you would like them to last a bit longer!
Image & Recipe Source: Nourish Everyday